If you're having issues with your mood, relationships, job, house, and even health, and you've gone through all the appropriate channels to resolve them, then it may be time to unblock your chakras.
Unblocking Chakras for Beginners
To begin with, what are chakras? Chakras were first written about in the Vedas, the ancient sacred texts of India. They are seen as centers in the body that serve as links between the physical and spiritual. With a little training, they can be felt with the hands and move a pendulum.
How Do You Know If Your Chakra is Blocked?
As mentioned at the beginning, if you've exhausted all possible ways to find a solution to the problem, it could be that one of your chakras is blocked. Think of it as energy constipation. Energy flows from chakra to chakra and sometimes something gets in there to dam it up.
The proactive way to find out if a chakra is blocked is to use a tool such as a pendulum. Generally, if you hold a pendulum in front of (or over, if you're lying down) one of these energy centers, if it swings clockwise it's open. If it swings counterclockwise, it's closed and/or blocked in some way.
You can also learn to sense chakras with your hands. I learned how to do this by taking Healing Touch workshops. It's mainly a matter of paying attention to very subtle sensations such as hot or cold, heaviness or “air” movement. Just writing about it makes my hand chakras feel like I've put some eucalyptus oil on them. Feeling chakras never gets old.
Joan Rose Staffen, who wrote The Creative Pendulum, has a free hour-long video about how to start using a pendulum. I've been using her techniques and they have helped me get past all sorts of blocks, especially lack of motivation.
Symptoms of Blocked Chakras
Technically you could attribute anything to a jammed chakra. There are some things that are easily recognized. Here is a list of some of them.
- One of the most obvious is that if you have a headache that is unresponsive to medical treatment, it could be that your third eye chakra is blocked.
- If you are a creative person and your inspiration dries up, it would be a good idea to clear your sacral chakra first, then your throat chakra. It depends on where you get your creative motivation from. It could be any (or all) of the chakras, but the second (sacral) chakra is the first place to look.
- If you feel really spaced out and disassociated from life, check your root chakra.
- Likewise, it may be your root chakra if the basic building blocks of your life – home, security, food, health – are in jeopardy.
- When you feel like you are being taken advantage of or are powerless in some way, make sure your solar plexus chakra is running smoothly.
- Can't seem to get clarity when you need it? Clear your third eye.
- Feeling alone, abandoned, overwhelmed by emotions? It might be the heart chakra, although it could be the root chakra, too.
- If you feel like you can't express yourself look into your throat chakra.
- Want to be connected to divine energy in some form, but can't? It's probably a good idea to clear the crown chakra.
Clearing a Chakra
Removing the energetic gunk from a chakra can be a simple process. Even the easiest methods can have a powerful effect over time.
Sometimes chakras are blocked because of something that happened recently. Maybe you had an argument with a friend and that left some uncomfortable energetic residue around your solar plexus.
But a lot of the time there are layers of old energy that accumulate and they need to be removed a little bit at a time. There are powerful healers who could get rid of most of it all at once, but I don't recommend it. It's a shock to the system. Take it from one who knows.
Methods for Clearing a Chakra
Some of the ways you can clear a chakra are ordinary things you do all the time. All you have to do is intentionally do it for the purpose of removing bad energy. Here are some of the ways:
- Visualization. Imagine that you can see the individual chakras as balls of colored light in your mind's eye. See the blocks in whatever form they appear. Visualize removing them however you want to. This can be done anytime, anywhere.
- Manually move the energy. Use your hands to “pull” the energy out of the chakras. Again, imagination will play a big part at first, but in time you will start to feel slight changes in air temperature.
- Chant. The chakras have sound frequencies associated with them. Listening to them strengthens your chakras and helps them be clear. They'll also get you in a meditative state which will help you release negativity.
- Yoga. From my own experience, Hatha Yoga has helped me clear my energy and get my chakras back in alignment. The slower and more deliberate forms of yoga, the better, in my opinion.
- Walking. There's something about the movement of walking and sensing all of the elements around you that is great for clearing your energy. Walking gently gets all the fluids moving in your body. The air on your skin, especially if there's wind, restores your aura.
- Crystals. Crystals, like chakras, have pure energetic frequencies. Holding them, or even being in the room with them, can strengthen your chakras. The stronger they are, the better they can ward off unhelpful energies. Or you can put them directly on your chakras and clean them with a crystal wand as in the video below.
Unblocking a Chakra in 10 Minutes
Guess what? You don't need 10 minutes to unblock a chakra. Using some of the methods listed above, you can clear a chakra in about a minute. Most of the time you'll only be removing the top layer. Sometimes that's all there is, though, especially if you have taken the time to do regular energetic hygiene.
Questions About Unblocking Chakras
Here are some answers to questions you may have.
It can help you feel a lot better and think more clearly, especially if you've been feeling weighed down and frazzled. We all collect energy we don't need. You can function, but it can make life harder. It's not as obvious as something like brushing your teeth, but it can have long-term effects if you don't ever do it.
Absolutely. You can use the methods I've talked about, but there are other ways. Having a session with an energy healer is helpful when you're starting out because if you haven't done this before you can be kind of “crusty” with old energy.
All of the methods listed above are really different forms of meditation. You have to get your mind out of the daily grind in order to work with chakras. Something like mindfulness meditation is generally good, but I would be more intentional about meditating specifically on the chakras.
No, however, a tool such as a pendulum can show you in a physical way when a chakra is cleared or blocked. To start with, though, you don't need anything other than your imagination.
An easy way to determine what state a chakra is in is to use a pendulum. When it spins clockwise it's considered open. When it spins counterclockwise it's closed. It isn't necessarily closed because something's in the way, but most of the time it is.
Why Chakras Get Blocked
There are many reasons a chakra may be blocked. Here are some of the most common:
- Physical tension.
- Emotional upset.
- Ancestral trauma.
- Cultural beliefs.
Clearing Chakras Really Works
Although clearing your chakras does not replace seeing a medical professional (always do that first), if you take the time to make sure they're in good working order, over time you'll notice that you feel lighter and feel better overall.